About Maria Larkin, MEd, RDN, LD
In the more than 30 years working in the field of nutrition and treating clients across the lifespan from infants to the elderly, I have frequently counseled clients with gastrointestinal (GI) problems. Some of my clients have had GI complications because of eating disorders such as Anorexia and Bulimia nervosa and binge eating disorder while others have GI issues resulting from stress or medications. Working with college students and in private practice, I began to notice that almost all of my clients complained of some type of intestinal distress. Then the GI distress hit home! My own gut started acting up, and my teenage son was down to eating just three foods after being treated with a medication for acne. As a result, the quest for understanding and treating GI disorders has become my passion as well as my expertise.
Like a detective, I conduct a thorough and comprehensive investigation to help my clients find the root cause of their GI distress. For example, I have many clients see me already diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome. Further testing of these clients reveals different underlying causes of their GI discomfort, which once identified can be treated appropriately.
I am passionate about helping my clients feel better and get to the point where they can eat a variety of foods without fear and discomfort. My goal is to keep food a fun and exciting part of my clients’ lives – to maximize the ease of shopping, preparing and eating food. I teach my clients with all conditions how to be relaxed and at a peace with food and how food can heal the gut as well as restore overall health. A better gut = better health!
- H. Pylori
- Gastric Ulcers
- Gall Bladder Dysfunction (stones, bile insufficiency, post removal)
- Fatty liver
- Colorectal Cancer
- Leaky Gut
- Celiac Disease
Eating Concerns & Disorders
- Anorexia Nervosa
- Bulimia Nervosa
- Binge Eating Disorder
Food Intolerances, Sensitivities & Allergies
- Sulfur and sulfites
- Fructose, lactose, gluten intolerances
- Glyphosate, latex etc.
Autoimmune Disease & Systemic Inflammation
Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics, Community Emphasis, Coordinated Undergraduate Program, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, TX.
- Master of Education, Counseling (Self-Designed) with Specialization in Eating Disorders, Plymouth State University, Plymouth, NH.
- Preceptor Program Certificate of Completion: University of Chicago’s Celiac Disease Center.
- Certificate of Completion: Motivation Interviewing Skills Development, The Institute for Motivation and Change, Northeastern University, Boston.
- Certificate of Completion: Susan Allen’s Next Level Functional Nutrition Program
- Completed all six Institute for Functional Medicine’s modules.
- Certificate Mindful-Based Eating Awareness (J. Kristeller and A. Lieberman).
Memberships and Professional Affiliations
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- New Hampshire Dietetic Association
- Dietitians in Integrative and Functional Medicine
- Entrepreneurial Nutritionists
- Institute for Functional Medicine
- Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG)
- New England Celiac Organization (NECO)